Monday, June 17, 2013

Chicago

My hubby is going to be 30 in a month and we went to Chicago to celebrate!  With the baby coming soon after his birthday (and our weekends are packed with weddings), we celebrated early this year while I'm still feeling good!

We stayed overnight in Chicago.  It was so nice to getaway and be kid-free!  This was the awesome view from our room:


Special treats for the birthday boy:-)
 Lucky me got to enjoy them too!!
 The best red velvet cake I've ever had...with cream cheese frosting. 
 
We had lunch right there inside the hotel and it was so good!  We had such a funny moment too.  The menu was like a foreign language so that made ordering kind of difficult. I ordered "avocado, gulf shrimp, chickpea" exactly how it was written (fairly certain this was the salad course) and a ricotta ravioli-type pasta dish with lamb.  While we were waiting for our food to come out, we started talking about how we might have ordered too much food but couldn't tell because there were no descriptions in the menu.  I was picturing this huge salad with jumbo shrimp, and avocado slices, and chickpeas sprinkled throughout.  We thought it might be tacky to take a box with us back to our room, so I was hoping I'd be able to eat it all.  When the server came to our table he said "something, something, shrimp something" so Josh said "ahhh, Lisa" and sat the tiniest plate in front of me.  And that spoon is a doll spoon. 

We laughed so hard!  Was this my gulf shrimp salad that I was afraid I would get too stuffed on and not be able to eat my entrée?  Josh just kept telling me to cherish every bite.  LOL!!!  I wish I put a quarter next to it for comparison!  Now I was thinking I didn't order enough food. 
Fortunately my real "salad" came out shortly after I finished.  I guess it was a palate cleanser?
It was so incredible too. Then Josh and I pretended we were judges on Chopped and described the scrumptious taste of our dishes to each other. 
 
My ricotta, ravioli- type pasta dish (I don't even remember what it was called, but it could have been called "Heaven")
 
 
Josh had the best chicken we've ever had...ever!  We couldn't believe how moist it was.  I ruin chicken every time I make it if this is what it's supposed to taste like!!!
 
Later we met up with Diana and Joe and got to see the famous "Maxine Salon" where Diana works.  Maxine (the owner) lives above the salon and her house is so unique and modern, and it has the best patio/ deck area.  Maxine is such a sweet lady!
 
 


(Not pictured here are the floating stairs.  I was actually nervous walking up them.  I hate heights!)
 
For dinner we ate at Gibson's Steakhouse and had the perfect seat outside right on the sidewalk.  Josh was so spoiled with his fave....blue cheese (salad, potatoes, and even dip for bread).  Some would say he is neurotic about blue cheese.  The waitress even liked blue cheese and highly recommended dipping the raisin bread in it.  Surprisingly it was very tasty.
 Josh's huge steak!!!
 
Celebrating a great man on a great night.
 
On Sunday we went on an architectural boat tour.  We've always wanted to do something like that and finally can say we finally have! 


 
 
 
It was the perfect way to end our Chicago get-away and now we actually know about the history and facts of the great city we live by.
 
Happy almost 30th Josh! Don't worry, I'll still refer to you as a 29 yr old.  You still have a month:-)

1 comment:

  1. Awwww! How nice, Happy B-lated Josh!
    That apartment looked really nice.
    That's were I've been wanting to go Gibson's Steakhouse. I guess I wont be able to for a loooong time =(

    ReplyDelete