Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Family Recipe... No "shhh" Involved

Don't you just love a great family recipe?  There's nothing better than knowing generations before you baked that same recipe.  I think of how far we've come since the days of kneading the dough by hand, while the sheets are on the line drying , and taking time to put on an apron before sprinkling flour on the counter.  Today I'm in one of those moods.  It's time to bake me some Tea Ring!!!  I'm fortunate enough to have had a Great Grandmother who was a fabulous baker and owned her own bakery!  And guess what?  I have one of her famous recipes to share with you! 

Add 2 cups of flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 packets of yeast, and 2 tsp of salt.  Mix well.


Heat 1 cup of water, 1 cup of milk (or water), and 1/4 cup of butter.  Heat to 120-130 degrees.  Butter does not need to melt.  Add to flour mixture.


Add two eggs (egg beaters are fine).

Mix until moistened, then beat of medium speed for 3 minutes. 


Add 3 1/2-4 cups of flour and knead until dough is smooth and elastic (5-8 minutes).  I used my dough hook on my mixer and mixed for about 3 minutes on low-med speed. 


I kneaded the dough for a few minutes on a floured surface to make sure that the dough was well mixed in.  The dough should be "smooth like a baby's bottom" like my Great Grandma used to say.

Place the dough in a buttered bowl and flip the dough ball over so it gets greased on the top.

Cover bowl with a towel and place in a warm place (I use my oven... not turned on obviously).  Let it stand for an hour.  Dough will double in size.
Punch the dough down and divide in half.  Roll each ball of dough out in a 12x9 shape.  Melt 1/4 cup of butter and brush onto dough.  In a small bowl mix 1 cup of brown sugar, 2 TBSP cinnamon, walnuts, raisins (I didn't have any so I used Craisins).  I also added a few tsps of pumpkin pie seasoning and a splash of vanilla.  Stir the mixture and sprinkle on top of the dough.  Roll the dough lengthwise and seal dough shut.  Curve the rolled dough into a ring shape.  Brush top of dough with melted butter and place on a cookie sheet or pizza pan.  Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes. 

***Sorry I forgot to take pictures!!!!****

Once Tea Ring is finished baking and is cooled you can brush the icing on top of it. 
2 cups of powdered sugar
4 TBSP hot brewed coffee
2 TBSP melted butter
splash of vanilla
Mix the coffee and butter slowly into the powdered sugar to avoid the icing being to runny... I didn't measure the coffee and butter and my icing turned out way too runny:-(  With my baby brain, I should've known to use measuring spoons for this! 

Slice & ENJOY!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment